Kindly Choose Your Appointment Type
Life with braces
Starting treatment with braces is a big decision, but it doesn’t need to be a difficult one.
The team at OPD Smiles is here to make treatment simple with our top tips on proper brace care. If you have any questions that aren’t addressed below, don’t hesitate to contact us.
How to care for your braces
When wearing braces, you need to take a little more time and effort to keep your teeth and appliance clean. You should:
- Brush thoroughly after every meal, paying special attention to the brackets and the gum line.
- Use toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Make sure to replace toothbrushes as soon as they show any signs of wear.
- Use a floss threader to maneuver floss underneath your archwires. Pay special attention to the areas along and underneath the gum line.
- Consider using an interproximal brush, a power toothbrush, or a Waterpik. These devices help make oral hygiene with braces faster and more effective.
- Avoid especially hard or sticky foods that could dislodge your braces. Our team can give you a list of foods that we recommend you avoid.
- Don’t chew on your fingernails or pen caps as this can damage your appliance.
What to do in an orthodontic emergency
Orthodontic emergencies are rare, but if you experience one please contact our team as soon as possible. We can get you in for an emergency appointment if:
- You have a bracket and/or wire that is dislodged or very loose.
- A piece of your appliance has been swallowed.
- A wire is protruding and causing significant pain.
If you are experiencing mouth sores, constant oral irritation, or a lost elastic/rubber band, please contact us as well so that we can provide assistance. Keep in mind that some discomfort (especially when eating) is likely in the first few days after braces are placed.
If you have experienced oral trauma or are in extreme pain outside of office hours, please contact your nearest ER.
We’re here to help!
If you have questions or concerns about treatment, or are experiencing an emergency, please contact our friendly team today.Book a free consultation